Luka Chuppi is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy film directed by Laxman Utekar. Produced by Dinesh Vijan under Maddock Films, it stars Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon and tells the story of a television reporter who cohabits with his headstrong intern. Chaos ensues when their traditional families assume them to be married to each other.
Principal photography for Luka Chuppi began in August 2018 and was completed the following month. It was released on 1 March 2019, and has grossed over ₹128.86 crore (US$18 million) worldwide.
The film starts with reporters asking film star Nazeem Khan if he is in a live-in relationship. He replies that it is his life and he can do whatever he wants to. The film then shifts to Mathura where Vishnu Trivedi, a failing politician wants a ban on live-in relationships. He goes to a local news channel in their town to get his daughter Rashmi an internship. There, Rashmi is introduced to the channel’s star reporter Vinod “Guddu” Shukla and his friend Abbas Sheikh. Rashmi starts working with them and Guddu and Rashmi fall for each other. Later, Guddu and his eldest brother Vikas have an argument about who should get married first. The next day, Guddu meets Rashmi and proposes to her, but she says that she doesn’t want to get married and wants to get to know Guddu first. She suggests a live-in relationship but Guddu doesn’t want to be in a live-in relationship because it’s not allowed in his family as it is not a part of their culture, and on top of that, he is afraid of Vishnu’s position and stance. The two later seek help from Abbas and he suggests trying the live-in relationship during a scheduled 20-day business trip to Gwalior. Rashmi eagerly agrees but Guddu is still reluctant.
The three head for Gwalior and are able to find an apartment with the help from a local. The next morning, Guddu chases her around the apartment and from the outside, their neighbour Mrs. Srivastava watches. Suspicious, she goes to their apartment and asks Rashmi how long they have been married. Confused, they both look at each other, and mix up answers. Almost certain that they are in a live-in relationship, Mrs. Srivastava leaves and begins spilling the beans to everyone, and a unanimous decision is called for to oust them from the apartment. Guddu and Rashmi overhear this and come up with fake photos of their wedding to put around the house as proof. The next morning, all the neighbours are shocked to see the wedding pictures. Mrs. Srivastava tries to convince them but in vain. Guddu’s eldest brother Varun’s brother-in-law Babulal sees them indulging in public display of affection. Babulal follows them, sees the fake wedding pictures and assumes that the two eloped and got married.
The next morning, Babulal brings Guddu’s entire family to their house including Guddu’s mother Shakuntala and father Badriprasad. His family sees the wedding pictures and go back to Mathura to tell Vishnu about the two. Vishnu is okay with it and says that they should be glad that they got married and weren’t in a live-in relationship.
Rashmi then goes to live with Guddu and his family because everyone thinks that they are now married. Rashmi dislikes lying to everyone and asks Guddu to quickly get themselves married. The two try to get married multiple times but in vain.
Finally, they decide to get married in an anonymous public marriage event. Unfortunately, Vishnu arrived to the event as a chief guest. He recognises Guddu and ultimately both the sides, Shuklas and Trivedis reach the venue and get to know about the truth. Guddu and Rashmi then accept that they are not married.
Guddu explains to Vishnu that the reason why Vishnu keeps losing the elections is because majority of the voting group is the new generation who believe in modern methods such as live-in relationships and opposing their methods equals to lack of support from them. Thus, he convinces Vishnu to stop opposing live-in relationships. Everyone finally get Guddu and Rashmi married.
- Kartik Aaryan as Vinod “Guddu” Shukla, Shakuntala and Badriprasad’s son; Varun and Vikas Shukla’s brother; Rashmi’s husband
- Kriti Sanon as Rashmi Trivedi / Rashmi. V. Shukla, Savitri and Vishnu Trivedi’s daughter; Guddu’s wife.
- Aparshakti Khurana as Abbas, Guddu and Rashmi’s friend
- Pankaj Tripathi as Babulal, Janki’s brother; Varun’s brother-in-law
- Vinay Pathak as Vishnu Trivedi, Savitri’s husband; Rashmi’s father
- Atul Srivastava as Badriprasad Shukla, Shakuntala’s husband; Guddu, Varun and Vikas’s father
- Alka Amin as Shakuntala Shukla, Badriprasad’s wife; Guddu, Varun and Vikas’s mother
- Himanshu Kohli as Vikas Shukla, Shakuntala and Badriprasad’s son; Varun and Guddu’s brother
- Vishwanath Chatterjee as Varun Shukla, Shakuntala and Badriprasad’s son; Vikas and Guddu’s brother
- Neha Saraf as Janki Shukla, Babulal’s sister; Varun’s wife; Guddu’s sister-in-law
- Ajeet Singh as Shrikant Trivedi, Vishnu’s right-hand man
- Vimi Mehta as Savitri Trivedi, Vishnu’s wife; Rashmi’s mother
- Arun Singh Kushwaha as Chotu, Babulal’s side kick
- Master Samarth as Cheeku, Janki and Varun’s son; Guddu’s nephew
- Sapna Sand as Mrs. Srivastava, the neighbour in Gwalior
- Abhinav Shukla as Nazeem Khan, film star
- Nabil Singh as Pandit
Principal photography for the film began in Gwalior on 1 August 2018 and was completed in Mathura in September 2018. The film was released on 1 March 2019. Bollywood Hungama put the film’s estimated budget at ₹25 crore, which included print and advertising costs. Box Office India estimated the film’s budget as ₹34 crore.